Friday, March 06, 2009

decided I couldn't post this in either The Crush or Adventuria

My friend Mike and I have a 14-year ongoing dispute over religion. He's atheist; I'm agnostic. I visited Mike in Boston last autumn. I arrived late on a Saturday night, and as we rode through the city in a taxi, Mike told me that he had to get up early the next morning to attend the weekly meeting of his atheist group. I said, "What?" He told me, yes, he's a member of an atheist group that meets every week, and I was invited to come along. I said, "You go to church? You're an atheist! The best part about being atheist is that you don't have to get up on Sunday morning and go to church! So you blow that all to hell by going to atheist church? Whoever heard of such a thing? And you want me to go with you? Goddamnit Mike, of all the people I know, you were the last person I ever expected to push their religion on me." But I went; the atheists met in a bar so at least we got to drink.

No comments: